Families continue to change after a divorce or child custody case is final. Parents remarry, have more children, or pursue new employment opportunities. These kinds of changes can cause parents to relocate or move away, increasing the separation between parents and children. These types of cases are called "removal" cases. When this happens, you need to contact an experienced attorney, like ours at Hightower Reff Law.

If you have to move out of Nebraska or even still within Nebraska, but far from the home you had when your decree was entered, you'll need changes to your child custody and parenting time agreements. This is true whether relocation happens shortly after a divorce or separation, or years later. Whether you are the parent who is moving, or your former spouse or partner is talking about relocating, you'll need to modify your child custody and visitation agreement. This is called a "removal" case.

Work with us at Hightower Reff Law. We handle cases for clients in Nebraska from our office in Omaha. We can help you understand your options and the legal process for modifying your existing divorce decree.

Can The Court Stop Me From Moving?

The court can't stop you from moving, but - depending upon the circumstances of your case - the court may not grant your request for modification of your child custody order that includes taking your child out of state, or far from the other parent.

It's crucial that you approach these issues with a cooperative mindset, even if the case ends up requiring more aggressive legal action. The best interests of the child are always the determining factor in removal cases. The child must still be able to have a meaningful relationship with the noncustodial parent. The court will not be in favor of an order allowing the child to move with you from the area if your motivation for moving is to simply get away from your former spouse or partner or alienate your child from their other parent.

Every case is unique. Hightower Reff attorneys will work with you personally to address your family's unique needs and ensure your parental rights are protected. Contact us online, email us at info@hrlawomaha.com or call 402-932-9550 to schedule a time to come in and talk to one of our attorneys about confident, clear, committed legal representation for your removal case.