The court orders entered during your divorce or child custody case may need to be changed down the road - or enforced, if the other party stops doing what the court said they must do.

Just as your lives will inevitably change as time passes, so too may the arrangements the court ordered, based upon your circumstances - or those of your children - at the time of your divorce. In most cases, this means adjustments to child support payments, custody arrangements and alimony/spousal support.

At Hightower Reff Law, we don't just guide you through the initial stages of a divorce, we believe in building strong attorney-client relationships that last a lifetime. This means that we will be there if you need us down the road. Should you require modification of your court order of support or custody - or other services that we can provide - we will be there.

Ensure That You And Your Children Are Treated Fairly

It's important to keep up with any significant changes to your financial status, no matter if you are paying or receiving child support payments.

If you lose your job or are forced to take a lesser-paying position, you may struggle to meet your child support payments. Failing to modify your child support and falling into delinquency can mean serious consequences, such as garnishment of your wages or benefits, suspension of various licenses, a lien on your property, denial of government benefits or tax refunds, and criminal charges.

Some Reasons For Change

Other common reasons you may need to ask the court to make changes to your child support, spousal support/alimony, or custody orders include:

  • A parent or a parent and the children want to move out of Nebraska or far away within the state (this is called a removal case)
  • The children get older and wish to live with a different parent
  • Health or other issues make it difficult to keep up with payments
  • A child's needs change (medical, education or extracurricular activities)
  • You or your former spouse loses a job, or has a significant increase or decrease in income that would justify changing the amount of child support and/or spousal support/alimony under Nebraska law

Contact Our Omaha, Nebraska, Law Office To Discuss Your Concerns

If your current family law order isn’t working for you or your children anymore, come see us to find out if a modification might be possible. Contact us online, email us at or call 402-932-9550 to schedule a time for a confidential consultation.